Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Attention fiber artists!

(I was going to title this "Attention Knitters", but I spent last evening crocheting afghan squares and I don't want to disenfranchise the crocheters, weavers, or whatever-else-you-do-with-string-ers among us!)

If you play with string and sticks to make fabric-like objects, please join us in the Knitter's Lounge during the conference. In addition to a nice place to stop and catch up with colleagues, we will also be doing a stash swap and a raffle. We are giving away a felted slippers knitting kit (pattern, yarn, and needles, and I've knit the pattern about a dozen times so I can testify to its fantastic-ness), and if you'd like, bring your surplus yarn for a stash swap -- offer up whatever yarn you can't seem to find a great pattern for, and trade it for something new-to-you. I know I'll be bringing a bag of miscellaneous skeins and balls to offer to anyone who wants to give them a good home!

This is a reprise of last year's super-successful knitting lounge at SUNY Maritime, and I hope that it proves just as much fun. I'm sorry to say there will be no wireless in our lounge, which means that we'll lose the cheerful and charming company of one Bill Drew, who, laptop in hand, braved a room full of swishing needles and hooks and chatter about swatching and Entrelac in order to surf the web in comfort last year.

The Knitter's Lounge will be in the Draime Lounge on the first floor of the dorm, in a nice bright room with big windows and comfy chairs.

2 comments:

Marianne Hebert said...

There is a photo of the knitting lounge on the posting for the dorm rooms (scroll down). It is not as dreary as the photo implies.

http://sunyla2008.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

I am SO there! I'm glad to see that the knitting lounge lives on. As one of its creators, I'm looking forward to participating once again.

Lori Gluckman Winterfeldt